Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Interview with Cathy West, author of Yesterday's Tomorrow


Welcome back to Stuff & Nonsense, Cathy!

Catch us up on what’s been happening the past two years in your writing journey. 

Wow. Quite a bit. I've been writing a lot. Since the release of my last novel in 2012, my agent now has four books that we’re trying to find publishing homes for. Right now I’m not working on anything so it seemed like a good time to re-release Yesterday’s Tomorrow and hope lots more people discover the story!

What do you think makes a good story?

For me, romance of course! That needs to be an integral part of the story, but I want to see a character’s real-life journey. What are they struggling with? Where are they in their faith journey? What got them to this point? What do they want out of life and how do they go about getting it? I want to experience their journey with them and if I learn something along the way, all the better.

Where is your favorite place to write?

My office is usually where I go when I need to really knuckle down and get some serious writing done. If I’m editing or just free-writing, you’ll probably find me plopped on the couch in the family room.

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and just have to get up and write down a thought? If so, do you keep a tablet on your bedside table or go to the computer?

Ah! Well, unfortunately I do get those middle of the night ideas, but I don’t usually force myself out of bed to write them down! Since I ‘see’ my stories, kind of like a movie playing in my head, I usually remember a scene and I’m able to write it down pretty accurately the next day.

Do you talk to your characters? Keep story boards? Pictures?

More like yell. J Sometimes they just want to do their own thing, you know? It gets annoying after a while. LOL. I’ve never done a story board, and I’m not a great plotter, but I’ve learned to take a lot of notes as I go, when ideas come. I do use pictures. I like having a solid idea of what my characters look like, and it’s fun to create Pinterest boards for the books I’m working on.

Do you have a favorite book? What about it makes it stand out from others?

Well, that’s a tough one. I have so many books that have stuck with me over the years. I think I could read Pride & Prejudice a million times over and never get tired of it. Anything by Dickens is definitely on my list. Most recently I’ve discovered Jojo Moyes. Me Before You is just one of those heart-wrenching stories – I couldn’t stop reading it and I don’t think I’ve cried so much while reading a book in a very long time. Favorite books will be one where the characters won’t go away even after you’ve long since turned the last page. Those are the books I love to read, and what I hope to write.

What’s the one food item you can’t live without?

Hmm. Coffee. It’s a beverage, but seriously. Coffee. J But I am an avowed cheese lover. So I think I’d be very sad if I couldn’t eat cheese anymore.

What’s in store for you next? Are you working on another book?

I’m busy promoting Yesterday’s Tomorrow, and waiting to see what comes next for me as far as publishing. Having re-released YT as an Indie author, there’s lots to learn and navigating these waters is going to take time, but I’m excited about it. I think this is a great time for Indie authors, and I guess we’ll see whether my other books end up coming out this way too. I’m also determined to finish the sequel to Yesterday’s Tomorrow. I know it’s been a long time coming, but I’m working on it. J



Catherine West is an award-winning author who writes stories of hope and healing from her island home in Bermuda. Her first novel, Yesterday’s Tomorrow, released in 2011 and won the INSPY for Romance, a Silver Medal in the Reader’s Favorite Awards, and was a finalist in the Grace Awards. Catherine’s second novel, Hidden in the Heart, released in September 2012, was long listed in the 2012 INSPY’s and was a finalist in the 2013 Grace Awards.

When she’s not at the computer working on her next story, you can find her taking her Border Collie for long walks or tending to her roses and orchids. She and her husband have two grown children. Catherine is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writers of America, and is represented by Rachelle Gardner of Books & Such Literary. Catherine loves to connect with her readers and can be reached at Catherine@catherinejwest.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for interviewing me, Anne! Your readers might be interested in joining up for my Author Chat Party on Facebook, happening September 22nd. You can go here to join the party! https://www.facebook.com/events/278413775685979/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure, Cathy. Thanks for the link to your Author Chat on FB. See you there!

    ReplyDelete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.