Book Quotes

“but for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.”― Jane Austen

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thirty Days of Gratitude


I always sign up to take these challenges and then fall behind. Life gets messy and things take precedence over making blog posts, FB posts, Instagram posts, Pinterest pins, etc....

This month is no exception to that rule. It's been one thing after another. But I do take time daily to thank the Lord for specific things. I just might not post it for all the world (or my small corner of it) to see.

Let me say that while we (meaning most people) usually focus on what we determine to be 'good' things that we're thankful for, I want to focus for a moment on things that aren't considered to be 'good'.

Scripture says that all things are under His authority. That means good and bad. They are all for my benefit. They are to grow me and stretch me and refine me in my faith, love, trust and hope in HIM. Not in my circumstances, not in my abilities, not in my spouse, not in my children, not in anything but HIM, Jesus Christ, the One who laid down his life for my sin, who bore my punishment on the cross of Calvary so that I might be saved. His sacrifice wasn't to rescue me from hurt or pain or trials or tribulations but from eternal separation from God.

So as I sit here today reflecting on the 'bad' things that happen in life (losing a child, a parent, a spouse, a friend, a job, etc.) my prayer is that they push us to draw closer to the One who holds our heart above all others. The One who loves us like no other and brings us through every experience. Without Him, we would not be able to reach others with compassion and love and go about our day with their circumstances weighing on our heart, with their needs escaping our lips as we cry out to Abba Father for their comfort or healing.

Whatever our circumstance, whatever we have is enough if we have Him.

1 Thessalonians 5: 17-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.