Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Recurring Question...


I've asked myself this question many times in the last three years as we have continued to unearth boxes from the attic in our NC home and bring them to VA. Usually, it is something that can be discarded or given to one of the children (yay!!!) which means one of these days there will be a lot less treasure junk for them to go through. 

On this last trip, I brought a box home to VA with me and was pleasantly surprised to find a beloved book tucked down in the bottom. You're probably thinking it wasn't too beloved or I wouldn't have packed it away, right? But if you know me at all or visit here often, you know I have hundreds of books! I still have books in boxes and no place to shelve them...yet. But back to this one.


I used this book for years when I had a greenhouse and grew herbs for making my hand-milled soaps. It has good information on many herbs and their uses, whether you are cooking with them or using them for medicinal purposes. 

I recently purchased my first diffusers and a couple sets of essential oils so I am looking forward to studying about the herbs used in some of them and what medicinal/therapeutic uses they have. My Christian fiction and non-fiction reviewing pile became a bit overwhelming all of a sudden so I am looking for some 'thyme' in my day to do more reading in The Herb Book. haha


I also bought a leather bound journal from Cracker Barrel when I was in GA in July that I am using for a 'junk' journal. When I was perusing the pages of The Herb Book, I realized that the illustrations are simple enough and will help me in my drawing practice. Unearthing this book is proving to be of more value to me than I had first thought. :-)

How about you? Do you have a favorite informational book?
If so, please share in the comments.
I would love to know! 




11 comments:

  1. Any book o n herbs is a favourite of mine. The illustrations look so clear and dainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, Barbara!!! I had completely forgotten about this book. That tells you how many I have still packed away. :-) I want to improve my drawing skills and hope this will help me. Thanks for coming by and commenting. Hope you are having a beautiful day across the pond! {{hugs}}

      Delete
  2. What a great book to find in your 'stash'.

    I also have a diffuser and use different essential oils.

    Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a favorite oil or blend? Do you blend your own or buy them already blended? I have tried Lemon and Eucalyptus and found it nice but I really like Lavender and Peppermint for headaches, and Orange Oil and Lemongrass for a refreshing and rejuvenating aroma. My weakness...not writing down my blends! I need to start an EO recipe book. :-) {{hugs}}

      Delete
  3. Oh what a find!!
    I too enjoy essential oils and have learned a great deal about them. A dear friend gifted me with a well used and marked essential oil book years ago and I still go to it first and for most.
    It's the "Modern Essentials" third edition, who cares, oils are oils no matter when you look them up, so this book will never go out of date as far as I'm concerned. :} It's the contemporary guide to the therapeutic use of oils.
    I have enjoyed creating my own blends for certain problems and have found it to be quite easy.
    I was always nervous that essential oils were hard to understand, but not at all.
    It took me years to break down and get an infuser, but now I love it.

    Have a great rest of your week ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Debbie! I have used oils in the past but never for diffusing. I'm looking forward to learning more about this craft.

      Praying for your continued healing. Hope it is going well.

      Love and hugs, my friend~

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of books by Rosemary Gladstar that we love. We do have several other herbal and essential books that we use as well. We love to use lavender, peppermint, patchouli, frankincense and a few other essential oils. We have bought some blends, but we also enjoy mixing up our own. We love to make our own salves, lotions, soaps and skin care stuff. We haven't done a whole lot of that since we moved though. I need to get organized and get our stuff out so we can start up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joy, I just received my 'woodsy' oils and have already tried making a blend. Patchouli is my favorite! You and I just keep discovering we enjoy a lot of the same things. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, we do seem to have a lot in common! haha :)

      Delete
  5. Just stopping by to say hello and to say, don't you just love a mystery box? I do! And look at the treasure you found inside. Herbs are wonderful and I cook with them but have not tried the oils yet. Hope you are having a delightful day reading your newly found book. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping in the long run, oils will be more beneficial and cost effective. I have spent quite a bit on candles and they have no medicinal value, other than setting an ambient mood. And if I want one that actually has an aroma that lasts for the entire candle, Yankee Candle works best but they are costly! You know me...frugal to a fault. :-)

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.