Thursday, July 18, 2019

Review ~ Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge #3) by Connilyn Cossette

Paperback352 pages
Published July 2nd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers

Recently widowed, Rivkah refuses to submit to the Torah law compelling her to marry her husband's brother and instead flees Kedesh, hoping to use her talents as a scribe to support herself. Without the protections of her father, Kedesh's head priest, and the safety of the city of refuge, Rivkah soon discovers that the cost of recklessness is her own freedom.

Malakhi has secretly loved Rivkah for years, but he never imagined his older brother's death would mean wedding her himself. After her disappearance, he throws himself into the ongoing fight against the Canaanites instead of dwelling on all he has lost. But with impending war looming over Israel, Rivkah's father comes to Malakhi with an impossible request.

As the enemies that Rivkah and Malakhi face from without and within Israel grow more threatening each day, is it too late for the restoration their wounded souls seek?

Purchase link:
CBD 
I am not affiliated with any vendors. Purchase links are a courtesy only.


My Review
5 STARS!!!

"Every day I stand here on the roof before I pray and just watch the road, imagining she will appear..."

Connilyn Cossette has written a powerful re-telling of The Prodigal Son. Until the Mountains Fall powerfully balances tension and humor in such an eloquent way; completed by its cast of fallible, relatable characters. As I read along, I fell deeper and deeper emotionally and spiritually in to the story, feeling apprehensive when Rivkah was in rebellion and grieving the choices she had made. That same grief was only compounded when Rivkah assumed that she could never return home, especially to her betrothed.

This story brought to mind how much I love my own children and how many times I have told them there is nothing they could ever do that would sever my love or close my arms to them. Poor Rivkah was cut to the core with self-incriminations that literally robbed five years of her life, causing deep rivulets of pain to her father and family. Remarkably, he never gave up hoping and trusting that one day they would be reunited. If you have a prodigal, I encourage you to maintain that same level of hope. God can fully restore them to their faith and bring them home!

I didn’t think Cossette could top the second book in this series, Shelter of the Most High, but in my opinion, she did. The steady adventure and rich story line evoked complex emotions; so much so that I came away more affected than before.

Until the Mountains Fall, never stop praying!

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher. All opinions in this review are my own.

2 comments:

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.