Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Review ~ The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians 1) by Dani Pettrey

Paperback352 pages
Published August 6th 2019 by Bethany House Publishers


When one Coast Guard officer is found dead and another goes missing, CGIS special agent Finn Walker faces his most dangerous and volatile crime yet. His only clues are what little evidence remains aboard the dead officer's adrift cutter, and the direction the clues point will test him and the guard to their limits.

Complicating matters further is the arrival of investigative reporter Harper Grace. An unrelenting journalist who was nearly killed as the result of her last expose, Harper has been sent to Wilmington on the hunch of her boss that the Coast Guard is stonewalling the truth about the officers. An interview with the dead victim's wife convinces her there's a story worth uncovering, even if it means risking her life again.

Thrown together by the heinous crime, Finn and Harper can't ignore the sparks or judgments flying between them, but will they be able to see past their preconceptions long enough to track down an elusive killer before they become his next mark?

Purchase link:
CBD 

Purchase links are for softcover but The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians 1) is also available in hard cover, e-book, and audio. I am in no way affiliated with any vendors. Links are provided as a courtesy only.


My Review
3.5 Stars

The Killing Tide has an amazing cover and it’s even better in print. I’m visual, so I base whether or not I want to read a book on the cover first and the blurb second. Both of these things made me anticipate the release of The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians 1). The mystery and suspense is good too. Anyone who has read a Pettrey book knows she is one of the “big fish in the sea” when it comes to writing compelling stories.

So this was how she was going to die…

Quite a first line, huh? Waves of intrigue crash onto the page right from the beginning. The plot is believable as far as the Coastal Guardians go with their extensive training and investigative techniques.

Gabby, the heroine, is an investigative reporter with a back story involving Finn, our hero. While Gabby is not afraid of danger, many of her attitudes and actions seemed irresponsible and bratty to me. She’s constantly going against wise counsel where her safety is concerned. I just couldn’t connect with her character. And I would have found her inclusion in every aspect of the CGIS case more plausible if she had been introduced as official support personnel.

Regardless of my disconnect with Gabby, I still liked the story and I learned a lot about the United States Coast Guard while reading The Killing Tide. I’m anticipating book two highlighting more of our brave Coastal Guardians.

I recommend this book to fans of contemporary romantic suspense interlaced with strong faith. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher. All opinions in this review are my own.

If you've read any of Dani Pettrey's books, please share in the comments which one is your favorite. If not, recommend a book!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.