Friday, September 25, 2020

Rachael Reviews ~ Something Worth Doing by Jane Kirkpatrick


In 1853, Abigail Scott was a 19-year-old school teacher in Oregon Territory when she married Ben Duniway. Marriage meant giving up on teaching, but Abigail always believed she was meant to be more than a good wife and mother. When financial mistakes and an injury force Ben to stop working, Abigail becomes the primary breadwinner for her growing family. What she sees as a working woman appalls her, and she devotes her life to fighting for the rights of women, including their right to vote.

Following Abigail as she bears six children, runs a millinery and a private school, helps on the farm, writes novels, gives speeches, and eventually runs a newspaper supporting women's suffrage, Something Worth Doing explores issues that will resonate strongly with modern women: the pull between career and family, finding one's place in the public sphere, and dealing with frustrations and prejudices women encounter when they compete in male-dominated spaces. Based on a true story of a pioneer for women's rights from award-winning author Jane Kirkpatrick will inspire you to believe that some things are worth doing--even when the cost is great.

_____________________________________________________

Rachael's Review ~ 3 Stars

I had a hard time with this book because I couldn’t really relate. I realize that fighting for women to be able to own things, get custody of their children, and so many other things was needed. However, Abigail seemed selfish, and she went ten months ( apparently fairly easily) without seeing her husband or children. The author didn’t make me feel connected to any characters in this book. I don’t know if that had more to do with the main character or the writing itself.

I did learn much from reading this book. The author did some extensive research to try to bring Abigail Duniway to life. Much is said of her relationships and the complexity of her situation with her brother as they both ran a newspaper with opposing views. There is a lot of information in the book about how the women’s right to vote was tied to prohibition, which I had never heard before. The west also was different from the East so they sought women’s rights differently than the East.

I personally love housework, Abigail hated it and really didn’t even seem to like the tasks of being a mother. Considering I was not even able to give birth, I found her a bit whiny and petty. I think in this instance, it was more the character that was brought to life than the writing that didn’t appeal. I have always enjoyed this authors books. I did very much enjoy the historical research , but I didn’t connect with the people. If you are interested in history, how difficult it was for pioneers of Oregon and the west, or the fight of women’s rights ( this was far more than just the right to vote) I would definitely recommend this book.

I received this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.


Guest Reviewer; Rachael Farnsworth-Merritt

Rachael is a homemaker, wife, mother, homeschooler, and disciple of Christ who enjoys crafting, simple money saving tips, and loves farm life. She is also an avid book reviewer and blogger. 




5 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honest review, Rachael! You did a nice job balancing what you liked and didn't like, which is what readers appreciate. Thanks for sharing it on the blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest review, Rachael. Jane Kirkpatrick was always one of my favorite go-to authors when I KNEW I'd be in for a good read. But the last few have not done it for me. I haven't been able to connect with the characters & the storylines just don't do it for me either. I'm not sure exactly if it's me, the author, or what? I do enjoy history, but if the characters and the storyline aren't there, I may as well read a history book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Diana! I have found her books to be rather slow and boring recently.

      Delete
    2. Well, it's not just me then. Let's pray for her bc there's no telling what's going on in her life right now. Perhaps nothing major, but writing isn't for the faint of heart & I'm sure she could use our prayers!

      Delete
    3. Have to agree...her older books are fantastic. This one does read more like a research book than her previous reads.

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.