Monday, October 3, 2016

Review ~ Her One and Only (Porter Family #4) by Becky Wade

Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 3rd 2016 by Bethany House Publishers 
Gray Fowler, star NFL tight end, is being pursued by a stalker, so his team hires a protection agency to keep Gray under the watch of a bodyguard at all times. When Gray meets Dru Porter, an agent assigned to him, he's indignant. How can an attractive young female half his size possibly protect him? 

But Dru's a former Marine, an expert markswoman, and a black belt. She's also ferociously determined to uncover the identity of Gray's stalker. And she's just as determined to avoid any kind of romantic attachment between herself and the rugged football player with the mysterious past. But the closer they get to finding the stalker, the closer they grow to each other. As the danger rises, can Dru and Gray entrust their hearts--and their lives--to one another?
: : : 
Anne's Review 
3 STARS

Dru Porter is a personal protection agent who became too emotionally attached to her last assignment and is determined not to let that happen again. NFL superstar Gray Fowler sees his new bodyguard as another gorgeous woman to be conquered. You can imagine what kind of sparks are going to fly!

Dru’s character is intriguing, especially since she is a former Marine. She's always trying to prove herself so it’s interesting to see how her family dynamics work with three older brothers. Gray Fowler is a complex character. He’s a chauvinistic, spoiled and obnoxious famous athlete who has a tragic familial back story. Gray is the stereotypical football player—tall, broad shouldered, and fabulously gorgeous to look at with an ego the size of a stadium. 

With an engaging plot and vivid dialogue, the story moved at a fast pace. I truly enjoyed the suspense element! It was excellent from beginning to end. Ms. Wade is an expert at writing vivid imagery which usually makes for a delightful read. In Her One and Only, the 'romance' went too far for my own personal taste. I thought there was an excess of physical desire between Dru and Gray, crossing over into lust. I realize this doesn’t bother some readers, but it does me. Plus, I was hoping to see Gray make some serious spiritual changes sooner in the story but he didn’t. By the time he did, it felt rushed and over too soon. I liked the story but I didn't love it. I will say that Ms. Wade knows how to weave a family drama and draw me into the lives of the characters, making me care about them. I'll definitely be on the lookout for her next book series. 

I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
 
~Happy Reading~
  

2 comments:

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.