Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Review ~ The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #3) by Michelle Griep

256 Pages, Barbour Books
Mercy Lytton, a scout with keen eyesight raised among the Mohawks, and Elias Dubois, a condemned traitor working both sides of the conflict, must join together to get a shipment of gold safely into British hands.
A brand new series for fans of all things related to history, romance, adventure, faith, and family trees.

A War-Torn Countryside Is No Place for a Lady
Mercy Lytton is a lady like none other. Raised amongst the Mohawks, she straddles two cultures, yet each are united in one cause. . .to defeat the French. Born with a rare gift of unusually keen eyesight, she is chosen as a scout to accompany a team of men on a dangerous mission. Yet it is not her life that is threatened. It is her heart.  Condemned as a traitor, Elias Dubois faces the gallows. At the last minute, he is offered his freedom if he consents to accompany a stolen shipment of French gold to a nearby fort—but he is the one they stole it from in the first place. It turns out that the real thief is the beguiling woman, Mercy Lytton, for she steals his every waking thought.   Can love survive divided loyalties in a backcountry wilderness?

Purchase Link



My Review

In this third installment of The Daughters of the Mayflower series, Griep excels at descriptive prose with scenes that are vivid and detailed. Seriously! She is amazing at creating word pictures. And my emotions were tugged even though I didn’t feel any connection to Mercy. Action and mild intrigue kept me turning pages, but I felt lost and confused most of the time. Maybe it’s because I don’t know much about the French and Indian War but whatever it was, it made the story hard to get through. I liked Elias’s character and the mystery surrounding his identity. I feel like an epic fail at articulating my thoughts on this one. The story was okay but not as enjoyable as some of the authors other works. Please don’t skip reading The Captured Bride based on my opinion! I am definitely in the minority on this one. :)

I received a copy of the book from the publisher. I was not required to write a review. No compensation has been received.

~Happy Reading~

 
*I am not affiliated with CBD and receive no monetary gain if you purchase the book through the link provided above. It is only provided as a courtesy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you shared that you didn't connect with the book as much as others. I really like honest opinions. Not everyone does connect with the characters or the story line. I've actually had people tell me to change my reviews to be positive. That's one of the reasons why I stopped blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy, for your encouraging words! It's hard for me to write a review when I don't connect but then again, we ARE supposed to be honest, right?! Although, I really do think this review stinks from just about every aspect possible! Poor, poor writing on this one. :-)

      I'm sorry you had such a negative experience when writing your reviews. No one should tell a reviewer to change their opinion. I hope one day you start back writing reviews. I would love to hear your thoughts on the books you read!

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.