Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Review ~ The Kitchen Marriage (Montana Brides #2) by Gina Welborn and Becca Whitham

Paperback, 352 pages
Published September 25th 2018 by Zebra
About the Book

A bright future awaits the women of courage and faith who boldly chase their dreams across the wide-open Montana Territory, prepared to embrace adventure and forge their own destinies . . .

When French immigrant Zoe de Fleur is forced out of her position as household cook for a high society New Yorker, the pretty and talented chef seizes an unexpected chance to head west for a new beginning. She pursues what she thinks is a prestigious job in the frontier's "finest kitchen," but instead finds herself in a matchmaker's agency . . .

Isaak Gunderson is one of Helena, Montana's most eligible bachelors, but he's too focused on running for mayor and his family's business to think about a wife and family. His twin brother, Jakob, is supposed to be too busy as well, yet sends for a mail-order bride anyway. Isaak doesn't want to fuel an ongoing rivalry with his twin, but this tempting newcomer can't be ignored. If only she'd come to Helena a different way and loving her wasn't a betrayal.

Purchase:
CBD (mass market paperback_




My Review
4 STARS!!!

Isaak and Jakob Gunderson are twins who have spent their lives as each other’s best friend in spite of their competitive nature toward one another. They have a great relationship, or so it seems until Zoe de Fleur, a young woman who comes to Montana thinking she is going to have a job as a chef but in actuality is a mail-order bride, enters their lives. It was great fun to watch the word play between the three of them. This is a story of two brothers and a girl, of them coming into their own, realizing what is most important in life and how they ought not to make comparisons between themselves and others. They each have a lot to learn! 

There is a proposal scene (not a spoiler) that I found to be hilarious. I was actually sitting outside at the time, and laughed out loud. Then a few moments later I was engrossed in another scene that had me voicing my thoughts about a certain no-good woman. My neighbors probably think I am crazy since I was the only one on the porch.

Several other characters wormed their way into my heart too and I hope to see them make a cameo in the next book. It was great fun getting a glimpse of Mac and Emilia after their honeymoon. They are the hero and heroine of The Promise Bride (Montana Brides #1). I recommend reading their story first to get the full palate of characters and backstory. 

This is a clean and inspirational read with a light element of faith so I think any fan of historical romantic fiction will enjoy this story. The authors have suffused The Kitchen Marriage with abundant humor, familial bonds that ring true-to-life and a mystery of the most surprising nature. I just closed the book and I am all astonishment at the last line. An identity has been revealed and it is a shocker, at least to me. 

I was provided an advanced uncorrected proof of the book from one of the authors. No review required. No compensation received.




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You will like this one but read The Promise Bride first so you get the backstory. I don't think it will be as enjoyable otherwise.

      Delete
  2. I've put that on my list, Anne. It sounds a bit different to the usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to be able to recommend a good book. I highly suggest reading The Promise Bride first (my favorite!!!) to get the full backstory.

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.