Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Anne's Top Reads in 2014




2014 offered some great books in Christian Fiction.

Life threw me some unexpected interruptions that slowed down my reading but I tried to get in as many books as possible. I read both contemporary and historical novels, and enjoyed some very well written novellas, too!

In no particular order, my Top Novel Reads in 2014 are:




Somebody Like You by Beth Vogt

Displaying  a mastery of writing skills, Beth Vogt has penned an astonishingly complex and emotional novel.




Life Support by Candace Calvert

There are times I read a book, put it down and basically forget the story. This was not the case with Life Support! My heart strings were being pulled from one side to the other like a rope during a rousing game of tug of war. 


  

Petticoat Detective by Margaret Brownley 

Petticoat Detective is my favorite book from Margaret Brownley! It’s a fast-paced, funny and poignant tale of a female Pinkerton detective who goes undercover in a brothel. Doesn’t sound like something you would want to read? Well, you just might be surprised! 




Hawk by Ronie Kendig

Hawk is the second book in the Quiet Professionals series. It has a consuming plot line filled with engrossing  and complicated technological intrigue. Between bullets and missiles and literally running for their lives, there shines through some tender moments that gave me breathing space to catch my breath.





The Daughter of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky

The Daughter of Highland Hall is the second book in the Edwardian Brides series and from beginning to end, I felt as if I was part of the Ramsey family. This is one of my favorite books so far this year!  In fact, the opening scene where Kate is learning to curtsy, and Jonathan sees her, is one of the most delightful I have read in a long time.  





 A Match of Wits by Jen Turano

A Match of Wits transports us into a charming and rousing tale with Agatha. She is a woman before her time--fearless,  impassioned about many things, and relentless in her pursuit of a good news story.  In many ways, she is a product of a forward moving generation.






Prelude for a Lord by Camille Elliot

 An awkward young woman. A haunted young man. A forbidden instrument. Can the love of music bring them together . . . or will it tear them apart? (from the publisher)


Note: I won Prelude for a Lord book in a giveaway and just recently made time to read it, and I am happy to say it is a definite top read! I'll write a review and post it as soon as I can.





  
Full Steam Ahead by Karen Witemeyer

Full Steam Ahead is one of my favorite books that Karen has written. It will make my Top Ten this year.  It’s filled with fascinating history regarding steam engines, lots of daring adventure, and her trademark humor woven in with a beautiful message of faith.






Raptor 6 by Ronie Kendig 

I’m not sure how to describe this book. It’s one of those that has so many layers, once they’re peeled back, more and more appear. It is full of intensely gritty scenes that even though I found difficult to read, I couldn’t stop reading. The prose is mind-blowing  and held me hostage from the first page to the last. The intensity of emotion in Raptor 6 tops every one of this author’s other books.






Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson
Historical/Contemporary Hybrid

With alternating chapters, this story gripped my heart from the opening scene in the chapelle, to the ending  scene in the same chapelle some 70 years later. I don’t know a lot about France during WWII but I was mesmerized from the start by the story of Giselle, a young woman fighting for her country in the only way she could during a most horrible time in history.





Beowulf by Ronie Kendig

Beowulf resounds with quintessential Kendig. Packed with deep characterization, rich descriptions, and her trademark rapid-fire dialogue, once you start reading you won’t be able to stop.





Call of the Prairie by Vickie McDonough 

Vickie McDonough has the ability to paint such realistic word pictures that I was sure I felt the prairie breezes blowing and could see the majestic windmill standing front and center in the town square. 

Now for the Novellas!


A November Bride by Beth Vogt



 Operation Zulu Redemption by Ronie Kendig
A 5 Part Serialization Project



 The Fruitcake Challenge by Carrie Fancett Pagels




Christmas Comes to Little Hickman Creek by Sharlene MacLaren


Did you enjoy any of these books in 2014? If so, I would love to hear what you thought about them. If not, what did you read? Leave a comment and lets chat books!



16 comments:

  1. Thanks so much my book made the list, Anne! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it very much, Camy! Can't wait until your next Regency :)

      Delete
  2. Anne, I'm so honored to have a book included in your top 20. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to your books, Vickie. I thoroughly enjoyed this series!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for including The Daughter of Highland Hall on your list! So glad you enjoyed the story. I appreciate the time and effort you put into reading, reviewing, and promoting Christian fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I am so glad you are writing in the Edwardian Era right now. Keeps me going with my Downton fix ;)

      Delete
  4. Ohmygoodnessgraciousmeohmy!!! Thanks SO MUCH sweet Anne for including my novella on your list!!! And with such amazing company. I think I need my inhaler!!! HUGS and LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Carrie! I just loved learning about the lumber camps :)

      Delete
  5. What a great list, Anne! There are actually a couple on here I have not heard of. How did you accomplish that? lol Thank you for giving us some great reading recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana, I feel the same about your list. It's great that there are so many good books to choose to from and that we can get good recommendations from friends. {{hugs}}

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the list, sweet friend. I will definitely be looking into several books that you mentioned. Wasn't 'Prelude for a Lord' wonderful?! And of course 'Full Steam Ahead' was another perfectly written book by Karen Witmeyer - she amazes me with her writing.

    Happy New Year, dear Anne! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie, Yes, I adored 'Prelude for a Lord', and everything Karen writes is great :) Happy New Year to you, too! {{hugs}}

      Delete
  7. Great list, Anne. There are a couple on there that I need to put on my TBR list. And I just discovered Margaret Brownley's books for myself over the holidays; reading my third one now! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I am so glad you are reading Margaret's books! She has been a favorite of mine for years :) Petticoat Detective is such a fantastic story, I felt I didn't so it justice in my review.

      I look forward to seeing your list of fav's for 2014. That's a hint, you know ;)

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. I do enjoy Beth Vogts books. I haven't read any of Margaret's but will have a look on the Kindle list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love seeing my Christmas book listed there among your favorite 2014 reads! Thank you so much, Anne. You made my New Year's day extra special!

    ReplyDelete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.