Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Review ~ The Heart of the Mountains by Pepper Basham

 


JULY 1st 2022
BARBOUR PUBLISHING

About the Book: To escape a forced marriage, Cora Taylor travels from England to the *Blue Ridge Mountains in search of her brother, who is working as a teacher in a mission school. She hopes to find a place where her nursing skills and independent ideas will be accepted and appreciated, but nothing prepares her for the wild mixture of isolation, community, brokenness, and hope within these mountains…or in the person of Jeb McAdams.

Returning from the devastation of World War 1 emotionally damaged, Jeb McAdams struggles against the rampant mountain alcoholism to soothe his nightmares. It’s easy to hide within the mountains, or it was, before Cora Taylor arrives. Now, she seems to show up at every turn, bringing her ideas, curiosity, and beautiful eyes with her. Their mutual understanding of the costs of war leads to an unspoken bond that develops into a hesitant friendship. As Cora turns her nursing experience and determination on establishing hygiene and education for women in the Appalachian community while also attempting to rescue Jeb from his own ghosts, Cora and Jeb’s partnership turns into a project of celebrating the gifts within Appalachia. But when the past sweeps back into their lives and an outbreak of scarlet fever threatens the future, will Cora and Jeb find a way to work together – even if it means unplanned matrimony – or will their different lives and brokenness tear them apart.

____________________________________________



My Review 5 STARS

‘As she stepped from the house, her bag in hand, she looked back over her shoulder. Their gazes held for a few seconds as the door closed, and Jeb knew, sure as shootin’, he was ready to take all this lip itchin’ and put it into action.’

If you know anything about pivotal moments in romance novels, the heroine looking back at the hero is important. Cora definitely looks back. J She and Jeb are one of the best “on paper” couples. I did so love the interaction between them, their obvious differences and yet some striking similarities.

Basham is queen when it comes to writing Christian historical romance, in my opinion. Ticking all the boxes for me—witty dialogue, satisfying character growth, uncertainty and bravery, laugh-out-loud humor and lots of strong emotion—this novel made for a riveting story, along with lovable and not-so-lovable secondary characters.

I will journey time and again to my beloved Appalachian Mountains and immerse myself in whatever story this author writes. She brings the essence of the mountain folk to life with entertaining vernacular while painting lovely word pictures of the sights and sounds of life in Appalachia!

Historical fiction with deep faith encircles these mountain folks. Fans of this genre will be deeply satisfied and left longing for more stories set in The Heart of the Mountains.

I received an early copy of the book in electronic form from the author. I was under no obligation to write a review.


*Y'all might want to read My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream as it has characters that overlap in this novel. It's FREE to read on Kindle Unlimited. 

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds good! I love historical fiction. I'll have to look it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Pepper's books are ALL top reads for me!! :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks really good. I haven't read her before, but will order it from my library, as well as the other one you mention - or get it for my tablet reader. It sounds like this books as all the flavors I seek in my favorite type of book! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marilyn, I can't recommend Pepper's books highly enough! I think I've read most of them and they're fabulous. She writes both historical and contemporary so there is sure to be something for everyone. Hope you are weathering this summer well so far. <3

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.