Friday, September 30, 2011

Heiress by Susan May Warren

 

Author Bio

Susan May Warren is an award-winning, best-selling novelist of over twenty-six novels, many of which have won the Inspirational Readers Choice Award, the ACFW Book of the Year award, the Rita Award, and have been Christy finalists.

After serving as a missionary for eight years in Russia, she returned home to a small town on Minnesota’s beautiful Lake Superior shore where she, her four children, and her husband are active in their local church.

You can find her online at: www.susanmaywarren.com.

 

Book Blurb

They can buy anything they want—fame, power, beauty, even loyalty.

But they can’t buy love.

The beautiful and wealthy heiress daughters of August Price can buy everything their hearts desire. But what if their    desire is to be loved, without an enormous price tag attached? When one sister betrays another for the sake of love, will    she find happiness? And what happens when the other sets out across the still untamed frontier to find it—will she  discover she’s left it behind in the glamorous world of the New York gilded society? What price will each woman pay for  being an heiress?

Set in the opulent world of the Gilded Age, two women discover that being an heiress just might cost them everything  they love.

 

 

My Thoughts

I confess. I love book covers. This one is stunning!

I've read many of Susan's books but until I read Heiress I had no idea she could take me in two different directions so skillfully. Most times, when reading a book, you get one heroine in one locale, but in Heiress you get two heroines in two locales, and it is NEVER confusing!

Esme & Jinx are quite the sisters. Fiercely independent, Esme wishes to marry for love. Traditional to the core, Jinx wishes to marry for socially acceptable reasons thinking she will be loved. These poor girls. I felt so sorry for them. At times, the pressure to be the perfect daughter seemed so overwhelming, and it certainly shaped how they felt towards one another and others. Obviously, the times were different and daughters had tremendous obligations to their families to marry well, often times "saving" the family from ruin. But I must say, with as many books as I've read set from the Regency to Gilded Era, this one makes me glad I wasn't living in those times. Nope. No thank you.

Susan is a master at portraying the opulence and grandeur. I could see the gorgeous ball gowns, sparkling dog collars, and those handsome men in their fancy waistcoats. She's also a master at portraying the deceit, jealousy, and manipulation that took place behind closed doors. Whew! I'll stick to reading books.

Not a spoiler but if you're squeamish about infidelity and abuse, I wouldn't recommend this one.  It's not graphic but the subjects are covered.

Thank you to the publisher and Litfuse for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.

 

Win an opulent Gilded Age Prize Pack fit for an Heiress from Susan May Warren!

Susan May Warren is thrilled to announce the release of her latest historical book, Heiress!

Find out what the reviewers are saying here!

Heiress, a richly complex historical romance, is the first in Susan's three book Daughters of Fortune  series. In honor of Heiress’ debut, Susan is hosting a FABULOUS Gilded Age Giveaway and giving away  an opulent prize pack fit for an heiress!

 

 

One grand prize winner will receive:

 

  • A $100 gift certificate to ModCloth.com

  • A sleek silver iPod™ Shuffle

  • A beautiful strand of Pearls

  • Titanic DVD

  • Speakeasy Compilation Music CD from Starbucks™

  • Heiress by Susan May Warren


Click one of the icons below to enter. But do so soon - this giveaway ends 10/5/11. The winner will be announced Thursday, October 6 on Susan’s blog.

 
Enter via E-mail Enter via FacebookEnter via Twitter

 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book too, but am not giving my copy away. ;O)

    Hugs and have a great weekend, I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers, Diane! We're getting there but it she is slow to respond to the meds.

    I am getting too many books and love sharing them. Besides, I always love to win something so I figure others do, too :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.