Monday, February 18, 2019

Review ~ The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo (Daughters of the Mayflower #7)


Paperback256 pages
Published February 1st 2019 by Barbour Books
A Series for Lovers of History, Adventure, Romance, and Ancestry


Will Ellis Lose All at the Alamo?
Ellis Dumont finds a man in New Orleans Grey unconscious on Dumont property in 1836. As his fevers rage, the man mutters strange things about treasures and war. Either Claiborne Gentry has lost his mind or he’s a spy for the American president—or worse, for the Mexican enemy that threatens their very lives. With the men of her family away, Ellis must stand courageous and decide who she can trust. Will she put her selfish wants ahead of the future of the republic or travel with Clay to Mission San Jose to help end the war?

Join the adventure as the Daughters of the Mayflower series continues with The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo.

More in the Daughters of the Mayflower series:
The Mayflower Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse – set 1620 Atlantic Ocean (February 2018)
The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo – set 1725 New Orleans (April 2018)
The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep – set 1760 during the French and Indian War (June 2018)
The Patriot Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse – set 1774 Philadelphia (August 2018)​
The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear – set 1794 on the Wilderness Road (October 2018)
The Liberty Bride by MaryLu Tyndall – set 1814 Baltimore (December 2018)
The Alamo Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo – set 1836 Texas (February 2019)



My Review
4 STARS

The Alamo Bride is set in 1835 Texas, a time of great turmoil and tension. Clay Gentry is a New Orleans Grey on a perilous mission for the president when he becomes wounded and ends up under the care of Ellis Valmont, a young woman training to be a healer under her mother’s supervision. Ellis is the great-granddaughter of Maribel Cordoba from The Patriot Bride.

The historical details are precise and brought this time in history alive with intricate descriptions of settings, clothing, mannerisms and people. I discovered them to be brave and valiant in the face of great adversity. I also found it to be a dialogue driven story, allowing me to get to know the characters more intimately through their conversations, especially the ones between Ellis and her grandfather. The respect, love, and genuine affection for one another shines like a newly minted penny. I smiled often as I read their banter.

It is easy to romanticize history but The Alamo Bride, while it definitely has romance, also shows the dangers that beset those who lived and fought for independence from Mexico. The author includes notes in the back of the book that are fascinating as she explains historical details in more depth.

This is a welcome addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Fans of historical fiction will enjoy the book. This is Christian fiction but faith in God is not preachy. It is elemental in the lives of each character, worn like a beloved cloak.

I was given a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher. No review was required. No compensation received.


Have you read any of the books in this series? If so, which one/s? Did you like them? 
Let's chat books in the comments!


7 comments:

  1. Hey, Anne! Nice review! I'm so enamored with the cover on The Alamo Bride. I read The Mayflower Bride by Kim Woodhouse, The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep, and The Liberty Bride by MaryLu Tyndall. I really enjoyed them all, but MaryLu's was probably my fave. She can write about the War of 1812 like nobody's business! lol Since they aren't full-length books (approximately 250 pgs) I find some of them to be a bit pricey at $12.99 for paperback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is stunning!!! It sure pays to have them professionally made. This entire series has had gorgeous covers. I'm so visual! The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo is my absolute favorite of the ones I've read in the series. It was incredibly adventurous. Yeah, I can't pay that for a book, which is why I review :-)

      What are you reading right now?

      Delete
    2. I'm reading The Highest of Hopes by Susan Anne Mason. I always love her books and you're always guaranteed to get two romances for the price of one in her novels! Have you started on your copy yet? Speaking of being visual, I keep looking at the gorgeous cover on hers. Breathtaking!

      Delete
    3. As soon as I finish Ladies of Intrigue by Michelle Griep, I will read The Highest of Hopes. I think it will be my first SAM book but could be my second. I agree that the cover is stunning!!!

      Delete
    4. I've read all of her books since Irish Meadows released. As with all authors I enjoyed some better than others, but IMO I've never read one that deserved less than a five-star rating. Happy reading, my sweet friend!

      Delete
  2. I love your reviews Anne, and this book sounds quite intriguing and that the author really included a lot of historical detail in her writing. It is always wonderful to learn new things as you read the story. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! This series is quite informative and I appreciate the depth of research the authors did to bring these times in history alive. They're pursuit of accuracy has been evident in each story. My favorite has been The Pirate Bride. It is chock-full of adventure. Thanks for stopping by to chat. :-) Have a great weekend!!

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.