Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Around the Yard

~Song of Songs 2:12~ 
Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land.

I thought I would share a few of our successes as far as perennials go here in VA. We've definitely had our ups and downs figuring out what to grow. I planted over 40 bulbs last year and they all rotted. I won't be trying that again. Our soil is too wet and the water table is pretty close to the surface so drainage is a problem. 

The old fashioned Roses were here when we moved in and are starting to bloom. 
I'm pretty sure they're Knock Outs.


When fully open, they're a delicate soft pink in color and will have multiple blooms on one stem.


Our brick walkway goes to the backyard and we had planted a beautiful Palm tree in front of the Artemesia but it died. It actually froze to death because we forgot to wrap it. 
That was a big disappointment. 



I replaced the Palm with a wrought iron plant hangar I bought from a friend last summer. Little did I know she would reach her heavenly home only a few months later. I'm glad I have this visual reminder of her. In a few weeks, it will hold a couple of annual baskets.

There are two large mounds of Ajuga on the right and I'll probably transplant or buy more to fill in the blank space on the left.


The dead looking clump in the top left is actually a divergent shaped ornamental grass. When at its peak, it is huge and gorgeous! It grows about 3' tall and drapes out at least that far, hiding the gas meter. :)

The Burgundy Glow Ajuga were in two small containers and they're spreading like crazy! I read somewhere that in some places it is considered to be extremely invasive. I like it and it seems to be hardy, so I'm keeping it!

I love how it stands out with the bright lavender shades in front of the Euphorbia.


Two small containers of Sedum Acre Gold Rush I planted last year survived the winter!


The yellow is brilliant against the dark brown mulch. It's a little slower to spread but eventually it will. I can be patient for this beauty.


While I was weeding the other flower beds, I noticed this clump of 'weed' (as my husband referred to it) growing all alone among the grass. I thought hmmmm....that's kind of odd. 


As you can see, I quickly dug it up before he mowed over it! I transplanted it into a pot until I could find out what it was.


Isn't it beautiful???
They're so delicate and tiny and they close up in the evening.
I knew this wasn't an ordinary 'weed'. 


It's actually a wildflower commonly known as a Rain-Lily!
The scientific name is Zephyranthes Atamasca and there are many genus of it. Turns out is common in SE VA. It thrives in coastal areas, preferring acid boggy soils rich with leaf mold. That about sums up our yard! I'll transplant it to back into the ground in the 'rock' garden area where the Palm was and hope it survives and spreads. 

And now for my indoor crowning glory...


Uh. Yeah. I have killed every Orchid I've owned. This one was in the dump bin at Lowe's last year with only one bloom on it. I brought it home and it promptly fell off. I was bemoaning its inevitable fate to my sister and she told me to water it once a week by running cool water over the bark, don't let any water touch the leaves, and don't move it from its location. It seems to like being nestled against the coffee pot.

A few weeks after following my sisters directions, that shoot came up, followed soon by three more! I was completely thrilled but thinking it was too good to be true.



Then one by one, those little tiny buds started opening and soon I had 13 blooms!!!

How about that???

It's a miniature Cattleya Orchid and the blooms are only a little over an inch across in any direction. As you can see, the color is a soft buttery yellow with pinkish purple freckles and streaks.


 God made something so tiny, intricate and delicate 
and blessed me with it! 

If you hung with me through this long post, CONGRATS!! haha


I hope you've enjoyed seeing some of our triumphs here in VA. I'm really not much of an outdoor gardener. Yard work is not fun or even stress relieving for me, as it is for many of my friends. :-) 

I'm thankful to have discovered a few beauties that bring me great joy to see them flourishing, though!

How about you? Do you garden? 

What successes and failures have you had?



12 comments:

  1. Your orchid is indeed a triumph, Anne. I managed to keep one going for a couple of years and it gave me such pleasure. I love the blue of the Ajuga against the Euphorbia. I have had to dig up a lot of Euphorbia as it has 'walked' round the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I didn't know that about Euphorbia. But, I will be happy if it spreads and fills in the bed. It can only go so far because of the sidewalk and driveway. :-)

      Delete
  2. So happy for your success with the orchid!!! And all the others blossoms are pretty as well. What a generous God we have who created this for us to enjoy. And to get a wee glimpse of his beauty and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I'm tickled pink over its blooms and all the beauty outside. God is good and gracious and to be praised in all things! :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne, your flowers are beautiful. I miss my Ajuga from my last home. There is a small patch here but I don't even know if it survived the winter. I love the "weed". My husband have saved a few and put them in pots as they resembled perennial leaves. Nope - we weren't so lucky. They were ugly weeds. Yours is beautiful. Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I love Winnie the Pooh's saying about weeds..."Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." I have found many 'weeds' that are beautiful but a few...not so much. :-) Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  4. We were invited out to the country to dig Ajuga at a new friend's home. We met at a local Greenhouse where my husband had one little container amid other plantings. She was with a mutual friend and gave us her number. So, we did in light rain sprinkling (along with gifted heirloom irises!), and today is planting day. <3 Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Kathleen!! You'll love it next year when it's twice as big. Mine seems to double in size each season. That's win for me! {{hugs}}

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! These could be screensavers.
    I love to garden but haven't had time over the last couple of years.
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Thanks, Dianna! I enjoy photography. These images are a mix between my phone and my Nikon. I'm waiting on it to get a little warmer before I add a few annuals to my front porch. Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  6. I know for sure that farmers have a lot of plant envy and are just as materialistic when it comes to plants, because I want it all, every one of them, I want, I want!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha!!! Yes, I have a bit of plant envy when I go to the store, or even when I see other's porches with such splendor adorning them. ;-)

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.