Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review -The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn by Lori Benton


On Sale: April 15, 2014
Pages: 400 | ISBN: 978-0-307-73149-4

Reviewed by Rebecca Maney, Contributing Reviewer 


An absolutely wonderful book; extraordinary historical research; rich, enduring characters, and a story line that just kept getting better! And the ending; nothing short of brilliant!

Loved at first sight by two men, Tamsen Littlejohn is pursued by many things; a would-be suitor, a vicious stepfather, a horrific memory, secrets from her past, and a variety of scurrilous characters. Along the way she was found . . . . . . by the love of her life.

Leaving Morganton, North Carolina in the middle of the night on the back of a horse with a complete stranger, Tamsen fights through her unrelenting grief and suffocating fear to rely on Jesse Bird; a man of few words and unparalleled courage. In order to protect Jesse from unwarranted charges of kidnapping and worse, Tamsen decides that marriage will protect them both.  Succumbing to the wise advice of a mountain minister, Tamsen and Jesse decide to delay their nuptials and wait out danger in Jesse’s cabin deep in the mountains; one that he shares with his enigmatic “pa” named Cade. Giving Tamsen the time that she needs to sort out her feelings and become accustomed to a different way of life, Jesse, Cade, their closet neighbors; the Allards, provide a measure of security. Until, her past comes knocking on the door.

Forced to flee after Tamsen’s location is compromised, chapters full of flight and danger fill the second half of this story; leading Tamsen and Jesse through snow-capped mountain passes and Indian encampments. Entangled in local politics and civil unrest, all of Tamsen’s pursuers finally converge in one location; ending the long pursuit, and in some cases their lives. The secrets of two families are finally unraveled; and these fine characters discover that the truth does indeed set them free.

A spectacular five-star read! 

Rebecca received a copy of the book from the author and publisher in exchange for an early review. No other compensation was received.

Read an Excerpt here.

Pre-order links:
Amazon, $11.24 (pb), $7.99 (Kindle)
CBD, $10.99 (pb), $9.99 (eBook)
Random House, $14.99 (pb)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'll add it to my "to read" list. Thanks Anne and Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca writes great reviews. I'll have to add it to my list too :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great review, Anne. I just got my CBD fiction magazine and saw this book and the cover caught my eye :)

    And speaking of catching my eye, every time I visit your blog is makes me smile with its lovely colors and charming header.

    Hugs to you, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delighted when my friend Rebecca wanted to submit the review. I didn't request this book, as I have several waiting to be reviewed, but it sure looks & sounds good.

      Yes, I'm kind of liking the look of my blog. Of course, my inspiration came from all the beautiful layouts and headers you have had over the years :)

      Have a blessed week, my friend!

      Delete

I am so delighted that you've taken time to come by and comment. Blessings for a joy-filled day!

1 Corinthians 1:3 ~ Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.